Thursday, November 3, 2016

THE NEED AND THE HOPE

This past week has been pretty difficult. Michelle is going through a period where she is beginning to see the goodness of speaking the truth about her emotions to me, and more importantly to herself.

The difficulty lies in the apparent depression that the reality of the new emotions brings to her. This in turn brings about harsh words to me.

The conflicts have increased and increased in intensity over the last 2 weeks. The harsh words from her peeked on Monday, we had counseling on Tuesday, and then more words again on Wednesday.

This morning (Thursday) was rough for me. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I couldn’t talk at the gym without feeling as if I was going to cry. Once done with the gym, I felt a pressure in my chest like I couldn’t breathe or get a good breath. I would describe it as recognizing that I needed a good, hard cry. We went for a walk, and it really didn’t get any better.

When we got home from the walk, I felt a good, cold shower would be good for me. While I was in the shower, I was thinking about what I really “needed” Michelle to do for me. And it was at that point that I realized that the LORD provides all of my needs. What I need is Him. I need nothing else. It is something that Michelle recognized many years ago. It is a concept that I have known and felt that I lived by, but I realize that is not the case.

I believe the application of this in my life will allow me to demonstrate love in a more pure way to those around me. Regardless of the words spoken by others, when I know the Father love’s me, I can stand next to Him when the “mean” person accuses me, calls me names, or whatever else negative communication may come my way. It means I can serve those who the world may not want to serve, because the Father will provide what I need, and when He doesn’t provide my earthly requirements, I will be in the presence.

It gives me freedom to demonstrate love to Michelle without demanding she do the same in return. It makes this demonstration from her a bonus for me, because the Father makes provision for my needs: physical, emotional, and spiritual.

My hope is in Him. My prayer to Him is that He provides a way (that Michelle and I follow the way He provide) for us to follow in our marriage that will glorify Him.


And now I find that I can breath again…

2 comments:

  1. I love you. I think back on the recent decision you made to get off of Facebook to devote more time to other things. I don't think the timing was a coincidence, It would seem to me that God was drawing you just that much closer to Him for such a time as this. You're a good brother to me, a good husband, you have a good wife, and God will cause all things to work together for your good. How great is our God! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Michelle have my admiration for allowing others to see your vulnerability and humanity, giving them permission not to pretend everything is always "fine" when it isn't...for anyone. You are not alone, and you are doing the courageous, difficult work it takes sometimes to make a good marriage better.

    ReplyDelete