Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Inevitable

It is inevitable that stumbling blocks will come…

Over that last few months, I have been humbled by the opportunity to speak with folks who are struggling in there marriage. An amazing time in my life, considering the stumbling blocks I have experienced in my marriage and the victory the Lord has given Michelle and me over our past. I am truly, and only the Lord knows a better word, amazed and in awe of the way He has turned my marriage around. James 4:8 says “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” One of the most significant ways to draw near to God is through His Word, the written Word, the Bible.

As I talked about in my last post, I once again recognize a common thread among those who chose to dissolve their marriage. And let me just say, I am aware that at any given moment, I am capable and will hold on tight at times to that common thread. That thread that I see is…..not keeping my heart in God’s word. I know in the depths of my sin, I was purposely choosing to not read the bible, as I knew I would be convicted. I knew the overwhelming power in the Word of my God, and yet I chose to not read it, because I wanted to wallow with the pigs. For whatever reason, I thought it felt better to root around in the mud, than to live in the glory of my Creator.

He has also given us a community of believers to help us through our struggles. This morning I was reading His Word, and I saw a perfect example of the community helping us in our struggles. It is during the time when Moses had lead Israel out of Egypt and they were in the desert about to battle Amalek.

EXODUS 17:11-12 “So it came about when Moses held his hand up, that Israel prevailed, and when he let his hand down, Amalek prevailed. But Moses’ hands were heavy. Then they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it; and Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side, and one on the other. Thus his hands were steady until the sun set.

So the chosen leader of Israel needed help for victory. Folks, we can’t do this alone. Who are your Aaron and Hur? It is the community of believers that you belong to! It is the Word of God! It is His Holy Spirit! He has provided all of these for us to crawl over, around, through the stumbling blocks that are inevitably coming our way!

I’m not speaking negative about those stumbling blocks, our Creator and Savior, is quoted in Luke 17:1 He said to his disciples, “It is inevitable that stumbling blocks come, but woe to him through whom they come:” Amazingly, He provides the way to victory around those blocks.

I have to stay in His word, because He says to, and he says to because He loves me, and He knows the paths I will take when I don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment