Monday, August 24, 2009

THE ROCK!

Have you ever read the Bible and been amazed to see something you have never seen before?

It happened again to me last night, and it has to do with Jesus in the Old Testament! I have often heard discussion of the Old Testament being filled with stories about Christ. I just recently reread the book of Luke and something stuck out to me like never before. Christ is speaking to his disciples after His resurrection and Luke 24: 27 says, “Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.” This is cool, but not the big one motivating me to write today!

Last night was such an amazing revelation to me that I found it hard to sleep. In 1 Corinthians 10:1-4, Paul is giving a reference to the period after the nation of Israel was allowed to leave Egypt and he says, “For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; and all ate the same spiritual food; and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; AND THE ROCK WAS CHRIST.”

And the Rock was Christ! Isn’t that amazing, a direct reference to Old Testament scripture! I went through about a seven year period where I struggled with the Trinity; often times saying I couldn’t find any specific evidence. Well, my testimony is an indicator of a hardened heart and scaled over eyes to go with it. I am now amazed to find how full the scriptures are with reference to the Trinity. Deuteronomy 32:3-4 says, “For I proclaim the name of the LORD; Ascribe greatness to our God! THE ROCK! His way is perfect, For all His ways are just; A God of faithfulness and without injustice, Righteous and upright is He.” So “the Rock” is also a reference to God. Simply, wonderfully amazing!

I am not as well versed in the Bible as I will be, but if you are new to really putting your heart into the scripture, I want to recommend that you get an exhaustive concordance to help you find references. I remembered the story about the Israelites, but found the Deuteronomy reference by looking up “rock” in my concordance!

God is good, and I thank Him for what He is doing in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment