Thursday, July 30, 2009

An Ox to Grind

Today I was at Recovery at the Village and Michelle, my love, is in Chicago. It was a day for testimony, and the gentleman speaking spoke of how his sin was a result of a deceptive heart, but that the Lord is into changing hearts!

I was amazed to recognize the common thread woven through folks, myself being one of them, who suffer the consequences of repetitive sin. There is such personal disgrace one goes through in dealing with their choices, whatever the flavor of the sin, when it is unconfessed and hidden through a “double” life. I somehow believed enduring years of shame in order to hide my “addiction” was a better alternative to seeking help through a community of believers, the church. We as believers need to make others aware of our struggles, and share our burdens as the Lord intended His church to do. Galatians 6:2-3 says “Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.” Am I helping or hindering a brother by “appearing” to be the “good” believer?

I am amazed at how the Lord has softened my heart towards the sinner, because I now recognize the undeserving grace that He has shown me. We as the church need to have a passion for those who choose to continue down the path of separation from their loving God in hopes of satisfying their desires with creation, instead of being fulfilled by the Creator.

It has been going on since the dawn of creation, the desire to sin. Even Psalm 106:20-21 says “Thus they exchanged their glory for the image of an ox that eats grass. They forgot God their Savior.”

Is it that I forget my God my Savior, or that I choose to do something that does not bring glory to Him. Sin is a choice, and I need to recognize it as that. Am I going to choose to give up my glory in exchange for an image of an ox – moooo – seems extremely jacked up when I think of it in those terms!!!

1 comment:

  1. Larry, great post. Thanks for letting me know about your site. I'll be a frequent visitor. I've also linked you to mine. Thanks again for the time this morning. I really enjoyed our visit.

    ReplyDelete