Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Golden Rule

I am cleaning out some of my computer files, and I came across this writing from October 2011. It doesn't look like I posted it here, so now I will. It is just some thoughts on the Golden Rule.

Do to others as you would have them do to you (Luke 6:31).

I wonder: do I pervert the Golden Rule? I have to admit, I wasn’t sure if it was a quotation from Shakespeare or a quote from the Bible.

When I say we want to live by the Golden Rule, do I really mean to. What is my motivation? Is it selfish? Am I going to demonstrate love to you, because I want you to demonstrate love for me? What if you do not demonstrate love to me? Do I then do to you as you did to me? I know for years I did well to others, because I might need to use them later for a job.

What does it say; it says to do to others, as you would have them do to you!

Please, understand, this is a tall order! The statement is made among other hard to comprehend commands:

                       1.         Love your enemies.
                       2.         Do good to those who hate you.
                       3.         Bless those who curse you.
                       4.         Pray for those who mistreat you.

So what are the qualifiers for doing unto others? Well, I can tell you it is not that you do to them AS they have done to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment