Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Psalm 1 and John 1:16-17

While I was having lunch with my wonderful bride yesterday, she asked if I had read Psalm 1 during my quiet time. My initial response was, “of course,” and then, “well, I’m not sure!” I went back and found that I had read Psalm 101, and then progressed to Psalm 2!

So, today I have the pleasure of reading Psalm! And so should you!
Psalm 1:1-2 How blessed is the one who does not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand in the pathway with sinners, or sit in the assembly of scoffers! Instead he finds pleasure in obeying the Lord’s commands; he meditates on his commands day and night.

How blessed is the one who…finds pleasure in obeying the Lord’s commands; he meditates on his command day and night! I have to say that this quiet time in the morning is having a significant impact on my heart. What kind of difference might there be if I meditated on what the Lord has taught me day and night? The word that meditate comes from means “to recite quietly; to meditate” and refers to intense study and reflection. This is from a note from the NET Bible. That might be something for me to consider. Pick a verse from the reading of the day, and recite it throughout my day.

John 1:16-17 For we have all received from his fullness one gracious gift after another. For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came about through Jesus Christ.

So from the Word we have all received one gracious gift after another. What gifts are being talked about here? Are we talking about each and every breath and heartbeat, or daily blessing of home, food, and family? But what about the ones who don't have what others would characterize as earthly blessings? What about those in the margins of society?

Then the author goes on to write about the Law of Moses, which required work of the Israelites to receive earthly blessings from God, while grace and truth require faith alone. Have we finally put a name to the Light, who is the Word, who is fully God? Have I been reading about this Jesus Christ, who brought about grace and truth? The anticipation is very strong to get further in to this book!

Lord, I want to be characterized as blessed by You. Would you guide me daily in focusing on your commands and teachings? Help me to focus on what You have said, to know your promises, and to stand on your promises. And thank You for Jesus! My heart is overjoyed at the idea of getting to know Him, and therefore You, more during this time is Your Word!

Thank you!


Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment