Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Psalm 6 and John 1:14-15

Psalm 6  Relent, Lord, rescue me! Deliver me because of your faithfulness!

It seems as though the writer of this Psalm is undergoing some kind of hardship, and I do not know the reason for it. What strikes me here is the writer appeals to the Lord for rescue, because of the Lord’s faithfulness, not because of any works or any amount of human righteousness. He only appeals to the Lord’s faithfulness. That is the only reason I can call on Him as well, because of His faithfulness to His promises.

John 1:14-15 Now the Word became flesh and took up residence among us. We saw his glory—the glory of the one and only, full of grace and truth, who came from the Father. John testified about him and shouted out, “This one was the one about whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is greater than I am, because he existed before me.’”

This seems like a new story line is starting here, like John 1:1-13 was an intro. The Word, who is fully God, became flesh and took up residence among us. There was a time when God in spirit dwelt among the Israelites. This was in the tabernacle, a tent, and also in the temple in Jerusalem. How overwhelming is it to read that He became a man and lived among them? They saw His glory! Who else on earth could be full of grace and truth? John the Baptist says, “He existed before me.” John acknowledges that the Word was in the beginning with God, was fully God, and was now standing before Him in the flesh! Look back at Genesis 1:1 and John 1:1. What an tremendous experience it must have been to see the Word in person. John 1:6 says that John’s roll was to testify about the Light, and now the Light, the Word, Who is fully God, was standing right before his very eyes! Wow!

Lord, help me to be full of amazement at the thought of you becoming flesh and living on this earth. You created everything and “the heavens cannot contain you,” and yet you became like me with skin and bones. Help me to be overwhelmed with the thought of this being a part of your faithfulness to your promises. Lord, apparently I need Your help daily in order to recognize Your faithfulness to You. I need your help to recognize that Your promises will be fulfilled to the glory of You, not me! Turn my heart from appealing to my work when presenting my prayers to You. Please, help me to glorify You in my time of prayer. Lord, will you show me what are needs and what are desires. Please, help me to be a part of your fulfilling your promises. I am so thankful that I receive the benefit of Your promises. What must it be like to walk with You and to see You face to face?

I look forward to that day!


Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment