Sunday, November 17, 2013

Psalm 4 and John 1:6-10

Psalm 4:4 Tremble with fear and do not sin! Meditate as you lie in bed, and repent of your ways!

This verse stuck out to me today. Except for tremble with fear, the rest of these are directive statements, each one is something I can choose to do or not. Sin is a choice, and there are times I do choose it. I can meditate on the Lord and His word, but often times I do not. I can repent, turn from what I am doing, have a complete mind change about the view of my surroundings, but at times I turn right back around. I believe the foundation for taking the verse to action is based on the meditation part. When I meditate on the Lord and His word, there are times I tremble at the thought of my disregard for Him, and then there are times I tremble at His splendor. And when I think about Him, the desire to sin diminishes and the turning from my sinful ways becomes the desire of my heart. There seems to be a minute by minute need for me to meditate on Him!

John 1:6-10 A man came, sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify about the light, so that everyone might believe through him. He himself was not the light, but he came to testify about the light. The true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was created by him, but the world did not recognize him.

This John mentioned here is John the Baptist, not John, the author of this book. So, John the Baptist, was sent from God to give information about the Light, so that everyone might believe in the light. The Light is the Word, who is fully God. So, The Word sent John to give information about Him; He is the Light! So, what does this mean: the true light, and how does He give it away…to everyone?

So the Word, Who is fully God, who is the true Light, who gives this light to everyone, was about to come to this earth, the earth that He created. And when He came to this world, the people did not recognize Him. What a tragedy! And there are those who still do not recognize Him, those who refuse to recognize Him, and those who have not heard of Him to recognize Him!

Lord, give me a heart for You and for those who do not recognize You! I ask for the perseverance to meditate on You throughout my day. I know I cannot do this without You. I know I cannot comprehend the full extent of Your light, but I know You have placed it in me. Would you help me understand what this means? What Your light means to me. Would you guide me in helping others understand what it means to them? I know it is your work and not mine, but help me to be a part of Your work, so the world today will see Your light shining among the darkness and desire You! Help me love others as you have loved me! I know I cannot do anything without you.

Thank you!


Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment